Saturday, January 2, 2010

In the jungle, the quiet jungle


The duck did its job again this morning, but I wanted so bad to rebel. My husband turned off the duck and I thought YES "sweet escape." Nope. My conscience kept tapping me on the shoulder saying "You have a goal remember, and you have people checking on them...don't give up now." It turns out this little voice was MUCH louder than any digital duck could be. Off I went to the living room where I clad myself in the now stinky red, heart, and blue get up. Then I flew like a moose in the night. At about 200 yards I am feeling really great, patting myself on the back for doing it this morning when it was really hard. In the middle of the self-confidence daydream, I got these terrible wafts of air, the ones that could only belong to a skunk. "Just keep going, it will go away soon." Four wafts later I began to wonder if the skunks were plotting against me. "She'll never continue with this stench." (Insert squeaky evil laugh). Then about half way into my run, not one but two little bunnies scampered for their lives within about a block of each other. I guess I would be scared too if I were a little critter woken by a polka-dot-heart-red-blue moose. The last leg of my journey was smooth besides a few more pepe le pews starting their engines early...until the last 100 ft when two HUGE hawks swooped over me and landed on a telephone pole above (no joke). First I was the predator, now I am prey. Those over-sized buzzards can hear my panting and they are mocking me, "We'll be here to eat your flesh when you keel over." And how did they know it was the last leg of my journey? Perhaps the hawks were not after me but just picking up the mess of critters in my path that died of shock when they saw my frame wiggle by. Sorry digital duck, pepe le pew, bunnies, hawks, oh yes and that mangy dog that barks death at me, I must survive in this animal kingdom too, so expect to see me again very very soon!!

5 comments:

  1. Great job Bina!! At least you didn't get sprayed by the skunk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how far are you running each morning? i am really impressed with your determination! it took me awhile to make early morning exercise a habit, but now its like an addiction for me and i love starting my day off doing something physical!! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Bina!! I am determined to lose a few extra pounds I put on, too--except sometimes giving up the yummy stuff makes me grumpy. :) You sound upbeat about your new goals--proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Bina! Aren't you glad you got up and ran? That is a lot more than I have done today. And you get tomorrow off - your Bday and Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe could you buy that dog a bone or a slab of meat and he will stop barking at you. i hate scarry dog barking

    ReplyDelete